Hello everyone! It's been a great weekend here in Texas, I hope it has been equally fabulous in Utah and Oregon. Man I miss you all so much! But we are looking forward to coming out to visit in July!!
So I have a few questions for all you experienced gardners. Okay, so honestly, I have a million questions, but I'll just start out with a few.
1) What's the best way to start flowers from seed? Do you put them straight into the ground w/ top soil/fertlizer? Do you start them indoors?
2) How hard is it to transplant a plant? I don't want to buy a wheelbarrow
3) What are some good sturdy plants for full-sun and partial-sun areas?
4) We have yucky dirt with clay and lots of bark...I want to try and remove the bark, but what a good top-soil consist of?
Okay, thanks! I'm thinking I might be adventurous and start some weed-pulling tomorrow (-:
I've heard from the great gardeners in Riverton (with lots of clay in the soil) that a nitrogen supplement is really helpful. Pansies seemed to do well in Riverton as long as they did not get full sun. All of my bulb plants would grow along the ground and then sideways to be able to reach sunlight, so I think they like a bit more!
ReplyDeleteThe best thing you can do is AMEND the soil! Do not put sand in clay, add some mulch that will break it up and be sure to turn it in with your shovel. After a few years of doing this, then you've really got something! SO, don't plant too much now, annuals and seeds are good because you can pull them out and turn the soil. Contractors NEVER fix the soil. Never. Have fun!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tips everyone(-:
ReplyDeleteSo when you say "amend" the soil, does that include removing the large clay clumps?
Hopefully I can get the ball rolling soon in my yard.